Thursday, May 10, 2007

Understanding The Creative Process

You may say, "But I am not creative!"

I say you are. What you don't understand is how you fit within the creative process. I have found that everyone is gifted somewhere within the creative process.

One of the tools that I use in the Self-Discovery Profile is one on Innovation and the creative process.

There are four steps to the process and you need to find the one that fits you best.

Once you know where you fit in then creativity becomes a natural process for you. The first is the "Creator" next is the "Advancer" then the "Refiner" and last is the "Executor". Once you know which one or which combination you are gifted in, then the whole creative process becomes natural. It will provide for you a source of inspiration and great wisdom.

Tell me which approach do you take to creativity?

Is it the conceptual approach, a spontaneous approach, or a methodical approach? Can you guess?


Steve Hart

*************************************************************************


For me creativity is a continual process. I never know when an idea is going to hit; so I have to be continually on the lookout. My problem is that creativity hits me and I don't have enough money (sometimes) to implement the idea and a couple of years later I see my idea on stage. That has happened four times in the last 10 years or so and I'm in the middle of it right now. Very frustrating.

Anyway, for me creativity starts with knowing your subject (magic) very very very well. You have to have a solid foundation on which to draw in order to create something.

However, creating is often simply looking at something from a different point of view. Therefore, I spend a lot of time reading books/articles about anything under the sun. I read cook books, history, fiction, politics, fantasy, psychology, oil production...no subject is exempt. I keep notes and files on things that strike me and they often become the basis for a new routine.

Steve Steele

No comments: