Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Perception as a Magician

Yes, I understand that your target market is different, and you probably go to great lengths to explain that you are a "Motivational Magician" But...do you ever have a problem with people passing you off as "just an entertainer", or ask you if you do birthday parties?

Tig Wallis

**************************************************************************************

Sure, once people understand that you are a magician they think to themselves how can I use this guy?

Some people have no idea exactly what a "Motivational Magician" is and I understand. But they also have no idea of the difference in pay.

So if they ask you if you can do a show of just entertainment or a birthday party, that is up to you.

This type of work allows you to choose your lifestyle. I have no problem doing them if my schedule allows me to. But I am not the cheap and explain that this is not part of my regular work. I do it cause I enjoy it.

I don't fight with my own identity. I know who I am and what I am best at. But I also know that people will draw their own conclusion about based upon what they know and understand.

I figure if I present myself properly I will get the type of work I desire and deserve.

Remember it is all "Show Business!" even speaking.

Enjoy, Steve Hart

***********************************************************************************

I have been reading a book by NSA member, Alan Weiss. In his book "Money Talks: How to Make A Million As A Speaker", he offers the following advice to a ventriloquist.

"Lose the dummy. Lose it altogether. As long as it's here, you're a ventriloquist, and you'll have to work mightily to convince any buyer that you also can deliver a powerful message about "change" that will be the focus of your value. And stop talking about your "act" unless your buyer is the manager of the lounge at the Golden Nugget".

Charles Green is the "Corporate Shuffle" and Paul Gertner is "America's Favorite Corporate Presentainer(TM). Seems the big guys hide the fact that their magicians.

How do you feel feel about that Steve?


Steve Steele

***********************************************************************************

Great Question.

I have wavered on this for sometime.

My conclusion is it depends upon you and your niche markets. Some may see the word magician as a problem and then others like the idea because it invites variety and humor.

I compare it with the idea of using humor in any program. Some would say you should never use humor be serious and to the point when presenting a program. Others will say if you don't use humor mostly likely you will never be hired back again. National Speakers Association has a consensus that supports the later.

So I don't see a real problem with the word "magic tricks" or magician in your promotional materials.

I do strongly suggest if you are going to continue to work as an entertainer at the same time work as a speaker, separate all of your promotional material. Don't try to promote both services on the same page or the same Website. Those who are buying you are most likely different people with different needs.

I love Allan Weiss he has taught me so much but I don't always agree with him.

How would you handle this question?

Steve Hart

No comments: