Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The Power Of Your Smile

Do you know the power of your smile? Do you know what
it looks like, feels like? Are you conscious of the
response you get when you smile?

You may have trouble smiling on and off stage. If you are
one of them then I challenge you to start working on your
smile. People who work from the stage make more
money if they smile. I have always loved the old saying,
“A smile will increase your face value.”

When I was judge for the I.B.M. stage competition the
first thing I would look for from the performer was a
smile. A smile would give you a higher score.

Your smile connects you with your audience. If you
laugh and smile during your programs then your audiences
will do the same.

If you ever visit the Magic Castle in Hollywood, CA watch
the audiences as they leave each showroom. If the people
leaving the show are smiling and laughing then you know
the performer has done the same thing.

You can get the same effect if you watch people coming
out of a break out session during a major convention.

First thing, practice your smile in front of a mirror.
Know what it looks like. Know how it feels. Know
when to use your smile at the exact points in
your program.

My wife says I have two smiles. One is my showbiz smile
the other is my natural smile. She says the first one
says “Hey, it is time to have some fun!” The second
one shows my warmth and sincerity. So I make sure to
use them both during my programs.

Work on placing your smile in your program. Video tape
your self. There is nothing wrong in using your
smile at an exact point in your program knowing
how it will affect your audience. You may feel like a
fake at first but if you are sincere, your heart will follow
and it will become a natural part of your program.

Everyone smiles in the same language. I've never seen
a smiling face that was not beautiful.


Steve Hart

1 comment:

Corporate Magician said...

A fake smile can always be spotted. With a real smile your whole face is engaged and will light up a room and an audience. They will feel it, if you're being true or not. So always make it a real one!